The CET program area houses one educational component:
- The bachelor of science extended major with a choice of two concentrations: Structures, and Construction.
The mission of the Civil Engineering Technology Program is to offer comprehensive education that enables the students to successfully complete the program, as well as opportunities for post-graduate education, successful entry into the engineering field through the use of newly acquired knowledge and skills, and the ability to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) fundamentals exam, which is the first step toward becoming a registered professional engineer. Students are prepared to apply engineering principles in performing the many tasks necessary for the planning and constructing of buildings, highways, railroads, bridges, dams, irrigation works, water systems, airports and other engineering projects.
Civil engineering technology graduates apply engineering principles in performing many of the tasks necessary for the planning and construction of highways, buildings, railroads, bridges, reservoirs, dams, irrigation works, water systems, airports, and other structures.
In planning for a construction project, they may participate in estimating costs, preparing specifications for materials, and in surveying, drafting, and design work. During the construction phase, they work closely with the contractor and the superintendent in scheduling field layout, construction activities, and the inspection of the work for conformity to specifications.
In recent years, a major work area for civil engineering technology has involved environmental problems; this includes design and construction of water supply facilities, design of wastewater collection and treatment facilities. The development of environmental impact studies and environmental impact statements are also included.
The program education objectives for the CET Program have been identified as:
1. Graduates will be employed in an engineering related industry performing tasks such as:
- Structural Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Sales Engineer
- Test Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Engineering Manager
2. Graduates will have successfully passed the FE Exam and have performed engineering duties in industry with progressive responsibilities or proceed to graduate school. Graduates will continue preparations toward the PE Exam.
3. Graduates will engage in lifelong learning and professional development by acceptance and attendance in classes or being active members in one or more professional organizations related to their field.
4. Graduates will function as a responsible member of society demonstrating professionalism in their work assignments and exhibit the following characteristics:
- Ethics, including commitment to honesty and integrity
- Quality performance and timeliness
- A willingness to learn new material and train and mentor fellow employees
5. Graduates will effectively use their technical leadership and communication skills in oral, written, visual and graphic methods to practice professionally in a collaborative, team oriented manner that embraces the multidisciplinary and multicultural environment of today's business world.
Founded in 1965, Metropolitan State University of Denver has grown to nearly 24,000 students and educates more undergraduate Coloradans than anyone else in the state. Since nearly 75 percent of our alumni live and work in Denver and the state, you could say we specialize in fostering homegrown talent for the challenges of a new century. Anything but homogenized, you’ll enjoy a unique university experience, including all that the city and people from all walks of life offer.
The University balances the benefits of being one of the largest public universities in the country—and all the opportunities that creates—with the goal of giving you an individualized academic experience through: Classes of 22, not 200; Accessible professors; Targeted advisers; Industry mentors.
We know you have a choice of universities. We just believe we’re the best one if you want a real education in a real urban setting from committed experts who put you first. MSU Denver provides an amazing selection of majors, minors, certificate programs and even custom-degree options to meet any need or interest. We also offer evening, weekend and online courses to fit even the busiest schedules.
Because life goes on while you attend MSU Denver, it’s our goal to make sure you stay and complete your educational goals by offering support services such as financial aid, personal counseling, academic success programs, and more.